Unit 1, Book 5
Match the main ideas with the paragraphs.
A. the result of Copernicus study
D Para.3 A Para.4
B. the cause of Copernicus study
C. the background of Copernicus
D. the procedure of Copernicus study E. Copernicus theory replaced the Christian idea and proved correct
Try to find some phrases:
lead to the centre of only if make sense the solar system
move backward go forward at timesat others
think long and hard §à work on / improve the theory
go round be enthusiastic about be cautious about be attacked by lie dying be against a direct link
1. Only if you put the sun there did the movement of other planets in the sky make sense.
1) Only in this way can you learn English well. 2) §Ö Only when you lose it can you realize its value.
2. He placed a fixed sun at the center of the solar system with the planets going round it and only
1) With leaves falling here and there, I suddenly notice autumn is here. 2) With supper finished, I began to watch TV. 3) With lots of homework to do, I had to stay at home all day.
3. The Christian Church rejected his theory , saying it was against Gods idea and people who supported it would be attacked.
He shook his head , saying no.
Complete the sentences.
1. He came into the classroom ______________ . (§¸) 2. Mother looked at me ________________. () 3. The man came into the room ______________. () 4.__________________ , they went to the cinema. 5. She sat at the desk, _____________ (). 6. He wrote to me, _______________________. 7. Only at night ___________ . ()
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.
with a smile on his face with tears in her eyes with his hand tied With nothing to do reading a newspaper telling me that he missed me so much 7. can you see it blossoming